Winchester 1895 Russian Musket Restoration


#1

Hello all.

Some time ago I was looking for an affordable Winchester 1895 Russian Musket. Preferably something I could work on.

Finally found one.

This thing was sporterized, barrel was cut down, forestock was cut down, new sights were added, etc. Well, see for yourselves.

pix926702898_zpsar38mftr
pix152699332_zpsmi0pqgvw pix336093356_zpsduoptzo7 pix166236617_zpsaeebo70x pix182864591_zpsjowp7ats pix189375278_zps2zz15n82 pix613746418_zpsulglt1yu pix940698968_zps91lt6jem

And so the work began… Finding parts mostly. That took a bit of time.

Stay tuned for more pics of restoration progress.


#2

Wow now this is awesome and fascinating. I’d love to see that in person and sling a few pills through it.


#3

Then this is the one that will get pictures first.

Found original charger clip guides. These are guiding the same clip as the ones used with MN 91/30. I actually made 3 sets of these later for other people.

Found the rest of parts over time (in doubles in some cases). This included the very difficult to locate rear sight.

Here are all the parts

Starting to fit a reproduction wood set, beginning with a buttstock


Then the forestock

This took quite a bit of time to inlet and sand down to receiver and buttplate.

Even more time was spent on inletting the forestock, matching/marrying it to the handguard, shaping them down to accept the bands…

Notice above that I took the sporter front sight off, and was cutting off the sleeve.

Then I made a replacement front sight from a blank blade and I believe a Krag replacement base.

Here it is next to the original (I had an original barrel with a bore that was worse than the one I had on my receiver. I eventually sold that original barrel).

Here is the wood waiting for the finish

And here it is being finished with the Winchester formula linseed oil and pigment. Sorry, can’t really capture the color as it was.

Here are a couple of pictures in inside lighting

And here, to compare, in sunlight

The metal was in decent shape, so I didn’t bother restoring that, but here is the “reconfigured” rifle… Well, I guess it would be a short musket, since the barrel was cut down on it. Again, I don’t know why my camera was messing with colors. Take a look at the difference between the last coat on the wood, and the assembled gun. Why it was changing the saturation I will never know.


#4

and before anyone asks, that is pure linseed oil. 3 days drying time between very light coats. Total of 10 coats if I remember correctly.

In any case, once I can post video you will see the entire series here.


#5

Wow amazing work. Sounds like you’re the man to talk to about my Mosin stock topic.


#6

I very much want to see that video. Excellent work. I use pure linseed oil on my restorations and boy is it worth the wait.


#7

And by the way, here are the charger guides I made for other people.






#8

Incredible work!


#9

Thank you.


#10

Video Playlist for this restoration project is below:














#11

Thank you for putting them all together in an easy to follow series!


#12

It is my pleasure.


#13

Beautiful work one again


#14

My first thought while looking at the lead photo was there was alot of work lined up. But as I followed the rest of the progress, I still felt the project was ambitious. You, sir, have schooled me on a fantastic restoration accomplished by a very talented gunsmith. Thank you, I needed to be reminded of what mastery looks like.


#15

Thank you. I figured since I cant create or assemble playlists on Full30 yet that I can do it here.

I will be making more playlists tonight. Like starting a disassembly/reassembly video/guide thread.

You are too kind. This was, indeed, the most ambitious project I undertook so far, and yet the most difficult part was finding the original parts.