WTB Old and damaged Wood Stocks

I am trying to better my skills and am looking for cheap practice stocks. Please, nothing of value I just want things you don’t want and are willing to basically just give away. I can pay a few dollars but I’m a broke college student. If you have anything please let me know.

Thanks

2 Likes

I think I have an old SKS stock

2 Likes

I did this once.
Go to home Depot
Buy all of their 2nds
Spend a week or so practicing with sanding, leveling, staining, removing stain, waxing ect…

4 Likes

That would be great if you don’t need it anymore and are willing to let it go cheap.

1 Like

IDK what you’ll find but this is a great site for old stuff

http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/

2 Likes

Thanks for the site I’ll check it out.

2 Likes

You can have it. Just pay the shipping. I’m headed out of town until next week for the races so I’ll get with you then.

2 Likes

@Sarge4206th gave you some great advice
Start with scrap wood before you move on to stocks
I would also suggest that if you don’t already have tools and diffrent grits of sand paper
Go to harbor freight and get some cheap shit to practice with before you step up to good product and working on gun stocks
At gunsmithing school there was a whole section strctly dedicated to wood work and was a 18 week module
As far as mixing stains and diffrent colors
There are several diffrent types of dyes and stains
Buy a pack of larger mason jars for 14 bucks and start experimenting

Good luck I love working with wood and refinishing new and old stuff
My current wood project I’ve spent some time on

5 Likes

That is great thank you :pray:t2: I look forward to next week and have fun.

2 Likes

I have a wood 10/22 stock you can have.

3 Likes

@giantspeed do you have any advice on what types of scrap wood. I am new to woodwork my background is more metalwork. That was the main reason for looking for broken stuff is it would still give me the curves and hardness of a real stock but if I mess up not really a big deal. I’ve got a few tools but nothing really fancy. Anything you suggest as a must? Also maybe you or someone can answer this for me. I see a lot of the tools and they come in I believe it’s 60 and 90 degree. What is the difference?

Thanks for all the helpful advice to all

2 Likes

Btw very nice 1911 grips :slight_smile:

3 Likes

60 or 90 degrees is the angle of the file or that particular tool.
Diffrent jobs require diffrent angles
If you can get a few broken sticks for cheap or free it would be ideal for practice
And It depends on what kind of wood your using
No all gun stocks are made of the same types of wood
I would spend some time watching some how to videos on diffrent technuiqes
For example you can checker wood
Inlay wood
Relief cut
And many many more
As well as sanding technuiqes
Take your time learning and don’t be in a rush
I would highly suggest though that you invest in a bunch of diffrent grit sand papers before you start
It helps Your learning immensely when you have the tools you need in hand

3 Likes

Awesome! I love 10/22’s

2 Likes

Awesome so I think headed down the right path then. I have been gathering different grits and I have stuff from about 80-3000 now. I also have been watching vids. On the 60 and 90 deal which is used more often? This way I can try and gauge budgeting for tools and get more common needed stuff first. Also on your 1911 build you used the brownells checking guide I believe you said. I have a 1911 build coming up in a few month would you recommend the Brownell or a different one? You commander turned out nice

3 Likes

The brownells checkering guide works very well
There is another out there that I liked as well
Modern gunsmithing checkering guide
I couldn’t find it online when I purchased mine so I got the brownells one

Thank you for your kind words on my project
It is coming along nicely and is very close to completion
When you decide to start a build make sure you have all the tools that you need in place to work on it
The tooling alone cost more than the damn pistol lmao
If you only plan to build one purchasing all the tooling doesn’t make sense

3 Likes

I have one you can have.

2 Likes

@Sarge4206th I apologize I have no idea what a 2nd is? is it like a blem? Do they keep them in a separate section or do I just ask someone? Sorry for the ignorance and thank you for the help.

2 Likes

@redangel Thank you I pm you my address and you can let me know what the shipping cost will be.

Thank you again

3 Likes

If it’s the same seconds I’m thinking Home Depot or Lowes will have scraps near where they cut the wood for customers or somewhere else near the lumber, sometimes they put red or yellow paint on them to designate them as scraps and they sell them either very reasonable and occasionally give them to you if they don’t think anyone would want to buy it and you ask if you can have it.

4 Likes