Wyatt Earp interview on gunfighting from 1910

https://americanshootingjournal.com/wyatt-earp-interview-on-gunfighting/amp/

"There was no man in the Kansas City group who was Wild Bill’s equal with a six-gun. Bill’s correct name, by the way, was James B. Hickok. Legend and the imaginations of certain people have exaggerated the number of men he killed in gunfights and have misrepresented the manner in which he did his killing. At that, they could not very well overdo his skill with pistols.

Hickok knew all the fancy tricks and was as good as the best at that sort of gunplay, but when he had serious business at hand, a man to get, the acid test of marksmanship, I doubt if he employed them. At least, he told me that he did not. I have seen him in action and I never saw him fan a gun, shoot from the hip, or try to fire two pistols simultaneously. Neither have I ever heard a reliable old-timer tell of any trick-shooting employed by Hickok when fast straight-shooting meant life or death.

That two-gun business is another matter that can stand some truth before the last of the old-time gunfighters has gone on. They wore two guns, most of six-gun toters did, and when the time came for action went after them with both hands. But they didn’t shoot them that way."

There was no man in the Kansas City group who was Wild Bill’s equal with a six-gun. Bill’s correct name, by the way, was James B. Hickok. Legend and the imaginations of certain people have exaggerated the number of men he killed in gunfights and have misrepresented the manner in which he did his killing. At that, they could not very well overdo his skill with pistols.

Hickok knew all the fancy tricks and was as good as the best at that sort of gunplay, but when he had serious business at hand, a man to get, the acid test of marksmanship, I doubt if he employed them. At least, he told me that he did not. I have seen him in action and I never saw him fan a gun, shoot from the hip, or try to fire two pistols simultaneously. Neither have I ever heard a reliable old-timer tell of any trick-shooting employed by Hickok when fast straight-shooting meant life or death.

That two-gun business is another matter that can stand some truth before the last of the old-time gunfighters has gone on. They wore two guns, most of six-gun toters did, and when the time came for action went after them with both hands. But they didn’t shoot them that way.

(Click link to see read the full interview)

The book itself is inaccurate from what I gather but the interview with Wyat Earp was legitimate.

For those not wanting to read it here is a quick rundown of the article:

Gun fanning and hip shooting was for fudds

Earp was proficient with a multitude of weapons

Bill Hickok was the fastest gun Earp had ever seen

Putting notches on your gun to count your kills was nonsense

Real gun slingers in most cases did not cock the hammer with the ball of thier thumb instead they used the whole joint of the thumb over the hammer.

Dual wielding pistols was not practical or advised.

Earp only loaded 5 rounds in his 6 shooter.

9 Likes

I remember that interview. i was there.

12 Likes

Probably in yer prime in 1910.

9 Likes

And here i was thinkin of putting you in the will. :rage:

8 Likes

Why you be pickin on Belt-Fed all the time

8 Likes

That’s what i say, they big ole Bullies.

9 Likes

True dat

8 Likes

Its a mutual thing, mom jokes and memes is how we communicate.

4 Likes

that’s why you’re out of the will and I’m not :innocent:

7 Likes

Careful he is an undercover IRS agent, he works for @spook

5 Likes