Y'all will be proud of me

OK, so I got over my fear of the 12ga. shotgun today. I’ve only shot one years ago one time. Hated it and never wanted to shoot another 12 ga. again. But today we went to friends for Easter dinner and I was persuaded to shoot one. I loved it. So much better than the last one I shot. The stock on the gun was a little long for me but I managed. Not only that, but for the first time I shot at a moving target (No, not my neighbor)
I did skeet shooting. Love that too! Missed the first two but got the rest.

21 Likes

Good to see you had a good time.

8 Likes

AWESOME!!!

8 Likes

Oh yea, nothing like shooting a shotgun. Glad you enjoyed it!

8 Likes

Now I’m looking for a clay target thrower if anyone knows of some cheap ones. Preferably one where I can shoot by myself and not need someone to pull a string. Oh, my boyfriend says I wasn’t doing skeet I was doing trap shooting. He thinks. What ever it is where one clay thing is thrown.

8 Likes

Just keep it tight to the shoulder and it’s not a problem.

7 Likes

@RedAngel

Why not bring the boyfriend along each time? Have him get the clay into the air and you shoot? Maybe even switch back and forth?

I like to go sporting clay shooting with a good friend of mine. We have a lot of fun doing it and learn something each time we go.

First lesson I learned: don’t take a 12 gauge without a recoil pad to sporting clay shooting. I did that, fired 48 rounds, and had a bruise on my shoulder for a couple of weeks as a result.

Nowadays, I almost always use a 20 gauge (with a recoil pad), and I have no problems with the recoil.

And, @Tactical_Reviews is SO right! Keep it tight to the shoulder - really helps!

8 Likes

It’s not a matter of bringing him along. I can shoot on my own property. I just know that I will be shooting while he is at work, so I need a machine to be automatic. Plus, he is a computer geek and hangs out indoors most the time doing programming, while I love to be outdoors. If I had to rely on him to be out there, I probably wouldn’t get much practice in at all.

Yes, this shotgun today, a Benelli, had a descent pad on it, so I had no issues at all.

10 Likes

@RedAngel

What size shot were you using?

Where I go, they limit everyone to 7.5 or 8 shot. I always use the 7.5 shot.

6 Likes

we were on private property, but I think it was 8. I remember glancing down at the box and seeing an 8, so assume that’s what it was.
I know nothing about shotgun shells.

6 Likes

Also, I’ve been sitting here looking at videos of the different machines. The one he had that threw the clay (birds?) didn’t throw them very high or far. Nothing like what I am seeing in these videos. He had a really old thrower I think where you pull the string.

5 Likes

@RedAngel

Smaller the number, the bigger the shot size (in general).

#8 shot is pretty small, but a lot of pellets. Unfortunately for hitting the target, they lose their power pretty fast - but that is why they are so commonly used - makes them safer down range.

Someday, I am going to go sporting clay shooting somewhere that I can use a larger shot size just to see how it affects my results. So many times I feel like I hit the target, but it did not break apart - making me think not enough pellets hit it and/or at too great a distance. Using a larger shot size would help me answer my question of did I even hit the target at all. Still, I would probably limit it to #4 shot.

5 Likes

So is # 8 shot a high number for a shotgun shell? What is the range?

5 Likes

@RedAngel

It may be just some fine tuning needed. The machines where I go all throw the clays differently (thus giving you reason to go to the next station to try your luck there). Sometimes, they are faster (or slower), sometimes higher (or lower), sometimes pretty much straight (sometimes curved). So, it really varies - but all the machines look the same.

2 Likes

@RedAngel

I don’t know, but over 100 feet away or so, they don’t seem to do much.

Here is a simple chart that may help you with sizes:

As you can see, #8 is pretty small!

6 Likes

Here is a better version of that chart:

6 Likes

@RedAngel

Nice picture. Yeah, that machine is way smaller than what I see at the sporting clay range I go to. Still, it ought to work reasonably well for just having fun.

Agreed - waiting till it is coming down or about to, is how I normally shoot.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s a better chart. So is there an ounce of shot in a shell? I’m going to have to do some research. I didn’t realize there were that many little balls in a shell. That’s a lot. No wonder I hit the clay. I had 410 chances per shot. :rofl:

5 Likes

@RedAngel

In 12 gauge, there probably is more than an ounce of shot in the shell. It will say on the box how much the shot weighs.

5 Likes

I think he said the load was too light a few times. We had two shotguns we were using and a few times one failed to shoot or feed. One shotgun had a sucky trigger and none of us wanted to shoot it. LOL.
But it was enough fun for me to look at getting a machine to practice because I thoroughly enjoyed shooting at something that moves (I don’t hunt)

5 Likes