Y'all will be proud of me

@RedAngel

I like Benelli shotguns, but never use them for clay shooting. To me, they are best for land-based shooting (not air-based). (Too heavy and bulky for air-based shooting.)

Having a lighter, easier-to-swing around as needed, shotgun makes more sense (to me) for air-based shooting. That, and the lower recoil, are the main reasons I choose a 20 gauge for sporting clay.

You may want to consider the Remington 870 Express (can be had in 12 gauge, 20 gauge, and/or maybe even .410), shotgun. You might find them at Walmart for under $300. And, they have a Youth model available (which I what I use, though I have to be careful how I hold it to avoid it slamming against my hand when I shoot it).

4 Likes

Well, the one problem i did have was that the stock was so long. You may not be able to tell in the photo, but the stock is not on my shoulder, its against my upper arm. Its the ony way I could reach the trigger, but it pushed my arm back doing it that way. It was a big gun. Maybe I should consider a youth size?

4 Likes

And I have a 20 ga. I’ve never shot it. My aunt gave it to me, but since my shotgun incident 15 years ago, I didn’t care to shoot shotguns. Maybe I should get it out and shoot it now and see what it’s like.

5 Likes

Shoot that 20ga with some Winchester Super-X slugs! It is quite satisfying. If you’ve got private property to shoot on I’m insanely jealous.

@JohnB and I are huge 20ga fans.

5 Likes

Thank you both @JohnB and @Chuparosa

By the way, I hope men out there realize when they give a girl a big gun to shoot they need to prepare her for what to expect. Obviously it took me 15 years to get over the fear of these things. I’ve had that happen to me twice. Once with the shotgun and once with a 30-30.
You seen those videos of a girl shooting a gun and it flies out of her hands or knocks her on her ass. That was me. Never had it fly out of my hands but for sure knocked me on my ass and back into a glass door. Just not a cool thing to do to get a laugh. Not cool at all.

8 Likes

My wife and I enjoy shooting skeet and trap together. We always use #8 or 9 shot because it gives you a more dense pattern as in less holes in the pattern for birds to fly thru. In skeet you have a set distance to hit the bird so you want a open choke on your gun. In trap you have longer shots so you need a tighter choke . While I have shot guns from .410 to 12 gauge I tend to do better with my 20 gauge on skeet. But if recoil is a problem you can get 12 gauge shotshells with the same charge of shot as a20ga. in a 7/8 oz. load. By using this load in a heavyer 12 ga. gun it will not recoil as much and gives a more uniform pattern.

8 Likes

Hey @Jtr When you say a “open choke” and “tighter choke” what exactly do you mean by that? I’m familiar with choking up on a baseball bat but can you explain what that means with the shotgun?

5 Likes

The choke is how much constriction is put on the shot . In order form loosest to tightest they are cylinder, improved cylinder, modified
,improved modified , full and extra full . You also have some special ones but most shotguns come with three chokes now days.

7 Likes

@Chuparosa

You got that right!

@RedAngel (et al)

And fyi, the Remington 870 Express is a pump shotgun. The one I use for sporting clay (in 20 gauge), uses a modified choke. Modified choke is a compromise (in the middle between no choke - aka, cylinder bore, and full choke).

Also, even for the same gauge and shot size, different manufacturers will load their ammo to different speeds. I don’t recall which brand is the fastest, but look for the faster loads to make it easier to hit the clays.

7 Likes

Trust me, I get that and always avoid the big stuff for any new or even smaller stature shooter regardless of gender.

I have, it’s hard to watch those and I can sympathize. True story, my very first experience with firearms was bad and like this. I was 14 and the first thing they gave me to shoot was a 12ga pump shotgun. Told me to fire it at the hip, it flew outta my hands. Next? A .357 magnum wheel gun, another poor choice for a noob. Next? A .45 I still cannot identify from my memory.

That was a bad day I never want anyone else to repeat. And that’s why I take care of new, smaller or less experienced shooter when I can to avoid that kind of experience.

6 Likes

Yeah…don’t forget to add me to the 20ga fan list…

BTW my personal favorite is my Mossberg combination shotgun with an 18.5” barrel and 22” or 24” (I forget)

I use the 18.5 for shooting almost everything including clays lol.
I always bring home more birds and beat all my buddies shooting clays. There is an actual strategy to that believe it or not.

6 Likes

@Comanchero45

Noted! I should start a list. Haha.

6 Likes

I was about 10 when someone thought it would be funny to have me fire their 30-06 bolt gun after introducing me to a .22
Was quite a while before I ever felt inclined to try a 30-06 again…

5 Likes

Jesus. That’s almost like giving a kid a Mosin Nagant to shoot after shooting a Ruger 10/22.

6 Likes

Pretty much…I was quite sore for quite a while…especially since no one told me to get the stock nice and tight against my shoulder. Like getting hit in the collar bone with a baseball bat.

5 Likes

Pretty much spot on.

4 Likes

Yep, dad got me around 8 years old shooting his peppered up 30-06 & 7mm mag reloads, fuc%ing dic%!!! I flinched shooting in to my teens till when I bought & shot my 1st boxes of factory ammo & realized it didn’t kick near as bad. Then i settled down & started shooting very well.

7 Likes

Battle wound! Love it! That was about the size of my bruise when I fired my first 40 rounds of my Mosin Nagant in one sitting. I loved every second of that pain, it was like a badge of honor. :+1:

6 Likes

Awww… that sucks.

5 Likes

Dang. Looks like several people on here have had a bad experience.

5 Likes