Your First Car

This conversation with @spook got me thinking.

What was your first car?

7 Likes

I’ll start.

8 Likes

I was stationed in W. Germany, yes there were 2 Germanys back then, east and west. The year was '71 and I bought a used Fiat 850 Spyder. I could barely afford that with my GI pay.

11 Likes

71 Rally Nova, i’ll see if I can find a pic later.

10 Likes

Man you guys had nice first cars, I had a 1995 Chevy Cavalier. Thing had 400,000 miles on it when I got rid of it.

12 Likes

A yellow 1973 Ford LTD with a 351 Windsor. Back seat like a full size bed!

10 Likes

Great thread @SteelPinger!

Dang, wow! I didn’t have anything that nice either. Every car I ever had as a kid had rust and primer on it. And every penny I earned got dumped under the hood -to hell with the body. I have pics of my first car somewhere (none digital that I’m aware of, but a box full of ‘em in the basement I’d be all night and teary-eyed nostalgic looking through). It was a 1971 Chevy Nova (not the Rally like @Belt-Fed’s rockin’ ride, just a plain Jane): she was a dirty girl… baby blue with a primered doghouse, 250 straight 6, Powerglide tranny, and epic bench seat. :wink: Bought it from a friend / upper classman on the wrestling team for 5 bills when he went away to college. The filler neck for the fuel tank (behind the rear license plate) had a rust hole where it met the tank and the gas gauge didn’t work. So you couldn’t fill 'er up all the way or take off very fast either. It was a perfect setup. :upside_down_face:

The Camaro I was referring to came later, between my Junior and Senior years. It was a '73 that I put an entire 70-1/2 split bumper doghouse on (the HS baseball coach owned the local junkyard and felt sorry for me -$50 bucks and off I went. :slight_smile:). That car was the bomb! I could talk for hours about the motor and mods I did inside and out. But that’s a story for another time.

Yeah, I’m a motor head though and through. My fingernails and prints have and always will be caked with grease. Love it!

10 Likes

Yeah, uh huh… that sounds like a Ginger ride. If it’s any consolation, both cars I mentioned above entertained their share of bat shit crazy red heads! :crazy_face:

9 Likes

Well, to be honest, my car didn’t look that nice up close. It was a 10 year-old Michigan car that already had some rust repairs. It also had a salvage title after being totaled. A friend of our family owned a body shop and he purchased the wrecked car from the insurance company. He already had parts from another donor car, so he was able to fix her up and give me (and my Dad) a good deal.

10 Likes

I never much cared for redheaded chicks

9 Likes

My 1st was a '79 Camaro . That car cost me a fortune! Not in repairs, but speeding tickets & high risk insurance.

11 Likes

This is a web photo, mine looked a bit worse,

77 Cutlass Sedan, I was the wheelman and lugged people to parties everywhere

12 Likes

Mine was a '78. I’m not the one who wrecked it. I got it cheap because the previous owner cracked it up.

9 Likes

78 Nova rally v8 4 speed trans and 4.11 posi rear dark brandy wine metal flake paint .

11 Likes

Freshman year I bought a '69 Nova for $650. TH350(on the column), 8.2" ten bolt with highway gears(but posi) and a bad @$$ 200hp(gross) 307 two barrel.

OK, the motor was a joke but the body/bench seat interior were near mint other than faded paint and 1 tiny rip in the headliner. No rot, no rust and the car was complete. It also came with a set of headers, single plane intake and 650 Holley(needed a full rebuild) in the trunk.

I managed to convince my uncle to part with a 325hp 327 long block he had squirreled away in the garage and slipped it into the Nova’s engine bay using the headers/intake/carb that came with the car and added an NOS L84(375hp-327) cam my auto shop teacher had laying around.

By the beginning of junior year, with actually getting my license fast approaching, I had stripped the body to bare metal and sprayed the primer. The trans was freshened up in auto-shop including a shift kit and the rear was rebuilt with 3.73’s. Annnnnndddd then I sold it :man_facepalming:

I ended up buying a '71 SS Camaro with the 330hp LT1/M20 and a swapped 10 bolt disc brake rear from a T/A. Better suspension, MUCH better brakes and not as hairy a cam on the street as the Nova. I actually took my road test in the Camaro during a snow storm…Something I could NEVER have done in the Nova.

Have I mentioned how much I LOATHE Hurricane Sandy? That b!+ch even took all the photos of my toys🤬

12 Likes

first car was 1970 Torino 302 Auto with a nice red paint job…wish I had a picture…

12 Likes

1972 Super Beetle.

Sold it and bought a 1970 Ford LTD with a 390 under the hood. It had considerably more torque than the VW.

12 Likes

What the hell is with all these Novas as first cars. Mine was a 68 Nova that I bought from my brother. It had a 327 small block that was fast enough to keep my insurance up and my tires needing to be replaced. The floorboard rusted through and I put the guts of it into a 72 Nova donor body.

11 Likes

Depending on the age of the poster, Nova’s were dirt cheap for a long time. If it wasn’t a factory SS, big block or Yenko they were overshadowed by the first gen Camaros/Chevelle’s/GTO’s/classic Vette’s/50’s and earlier ‘Hot rods’. Even my '71 Camaro(that had a freshened up engine and suspension) only set me back $2500 in '94 because everyone wanted the 67-69 cars. These days a clapped out roller is going for $10K+.

Think of it like this…What’s a '95 Mustang GT/Z28/TransAm worth right now? $4-6K for something that hasn’t been beat to death? Other than Cobra’s or SLP’s, they’re a dime a dozen. Hell, you can find a clean mid-90’s Vette for less than $10K with an LT-1/6 speed that you could turn into an absolute MONSTER for another $5-6K.

It’s the ‘high production numbers’ of less desirable cars that has me looking for a mid-late 80’s Cougar XR7. As Fox mustangs become harder to source(and most are twisted up like pretzels) why not go with their big brother??? A twin turbo 363ci SBF powered midsize coupe capable of slapping around Dodge Demons like redheaded step children? A Cougar XR-cist if you will😈

10 Likes

Can’t find a pic but mine was a 1973 Fury III . Already had the life beat out of it before I got it but we had some good times.

10 Likes