Your First Car

Oh my, what a co-winky-dink (yeah, that’s a Dad term)!!! I too sourced a donor '72 Nova and built a 383 Stroker for it with my old man: 350 bored 60 over, 400 crank, and 327 heads out of a late 60’s Vette. WHEW… DAMN GOOD TIMES!!! Never appreciated how good then, but wouldn’t trade that time for anything in the World today. Best run I had was smoking a '67 Chevelle with a blown 454. That moment right there solidified in my mind the value of good power to weight ratio and the beauty of the small block Chevy.

11 Likes

Lousy pics, had to take a pic of a pic.

14 Likes

I once saw a 63 Nova almost beat a 68/9 Camaro that had a 25 car-length head start. It was the fastest all-engine (no blower or nitrous) car I ever saw. I met the guy later. He was a friend’s father-in-law who was a street racer when that was more than a TV show.
Anyone from DFW in the 80s remember races behind Miller Brewery?

11 Likes

One scanned picture of a picture.

12 Likes

You young‘ns got it sooo good
My first car was a ‘61 Rambler.
Paid $50 for it in ‘72.
Burned more oil than gas.
Traded it in two years latter for a ‘70 Maverick.
Got $15 for it. And I removed the Lear Jet 8 track before I let them have it.
No pictures of mine cuz I lost all my instomatic negatives years ago.

11 Likes

Found a pic of @Belt-Fed 's real 1st

10 Likes

Yes, they were cheap and they were everywhere, especially the basic non-V8 models.

My Grandfather had an early 70’s 2-door Nova that I wanted soooo bad. It was just a 6-cylinder grocery getter, but it had very low miles and little rust. It would have been very easy to drop in a V-8. My Uncle won the coin toss and got the car after Grandpa passed away. He made the car into a SS Clone and sold it. It was out of my price range at that point.

I really enjoyed my Camaro and I was lucky to get my hands on it. That body shop who repaired the insurance wrecks helped a lot of teenagers get decent first cars. I knew several people in my High School who got a car from them. Even my auto mechanics teacher bought a rebuilt K5 Blazer from that shop. You don’t find many body shops who do that anymore.

11 Likes

My Dad was a car/truck guy and knew his sons social life would be good in a 66 Chevy Impala SS/327 convertible with AC [rare] and helped me buy it at 17. He put condoms and a quarter in the glove box day 1.
That car was a Jersey shore chick magnet.

11 Likes

Push button shift?

9 Likes

My father had a '76 ‘tow package’ Nova hatchback he bought new. At the time GM didn’t want brands putting higher output engines in anything but the Vette/Camaro/TransAm(and even those were weak with the Vette only having 205 ASE net horsepower or about the same as a late 80’s 5.0 Mustang). To get around the restriction Chevy sold ‘tow package’ cars with the Vette L82 in them and Posi rears. The guy my father sold the car to in '86, a local gearhead, swapped on a set of angle milled ‘Double hump’ heads and changed the cam/intake/carb. The car actually went high 12’s on the stock bottom end.

Ah, the Jersey shore. Sadly most posters here will only know it by a TV show about a bunch of overly spray tanned SI/LI jerkoffs invading the place annually. I remember 3:00am races across the rt37 bridge, Midway Cheesesteaks and GIGANTIC pizza’s from The Sawmill.

11 Likes

Very nice @Belt-Fed
That thing looks stout! :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Yep.
Under 15 mph you could engage reverse. It would whine down to a stop and with a loud clunk start backing up.
:thinking: not sure it was supposed to work that way. But it did.
And the front seats reclined flat with the back.

13 Likes

Dang, another beauty! Very nice @ArmedEyeDoc

I’m gonna have to try to dig out a pic of my heap.

9 Likes

Piss yellow 1977 toyota Corolla
20200411_100313

13 Likes

Bunch of old timers here, I am surprised there’s no horse carriages.

10 Likes

75 dart hang ten. I was 16 years old and working at Disney World. The back seat folded down a allowed me to carry a surfboard to New Smyrna Beach, one of the few REAL beaches you could park on the sand by the water.
1975-dodge-dart-special-edition-hang-10-1 1975-dodge-dart-special-edition-hang-10-3 1975-dodge-dart-special-edition-hang-10-10

14 Likes

Sweet! Really dig the paint scheme and interior.

10 Likes

Mine was almost as old as I was.

10 Likes

Same here. Uncanny how the cars I owned as a teen were roughly the same age as I -as if we were made for each other? :thinking::rofl:

10 Likes

To be fair my second car was a 2000 Pontiac trans AM with T-tops. The back seat wouldve looked horrible under a blacklight.

11 Likes