Your long range build

Yes do it, your reloads give you the ability to tune your ammo to your rifle.

7 Likes

@Sarge4206th any good suggestion on learning how to reload, books or videos, something with concrete info?

2 Likes

I reload. Is it worth the cost? That depends how much you plan to load. 9mm, I load for about 9 cents a round. For .223, about 18 cents. The real savings is large bore. 500 magnum is about 23 cents, 44 mag, about 20 cents. But like @Sarge4206th pointed out, the real advantage is to tune a round to exactly what your firearm needs.

7 Likes

You can find EVERYTHING about reloading on the internet. Start at the manufacturers website then start browsing forums. Compare forum results to the standard load data and work from there. I started with single stage presses and moved to progressive turrets. Its a learning process but, google can be your friend.

7 Likes

I started with the book ABC of Reloading great resource. Talks through everything a beginner needs.

6 Likes

Decided to hold off for now. Seems that the Valk round made a lot of promises that it hasn’t consistently delivered on yet.

My MK12 in 5.56 with 77s delivers the same accuracy the average 224 Valk does and it’s a lot easier on the wallet when it comes to ammo.

If manufacturers ever figure out the right twist along with loads that are consistent then I’ll probably build a “21st Century” version of a MK12. Might call it the MK12mod21 LOL.

5 Likes

I started reloading because of necessity, If your like me you will end up with at leats one wildcat round. Mine is the 30 rem ar. Remington dropped it so I can almost never find any factory ammo for it and I cant find brass period. I’ll have a friend make that for me when the time comes. Right now I am setting on close to 400 rounds for it so I am good as this is not a range toy its a deer rifle. So no more than 40 or so a year down the tube of that thing as even reloading I am somewhere close to .75 cents a round and that’s using once fired brass. Once that gets so far out of specs the cost will go up due to having them made.
450 Bushmaster brass is easy to find so since its the parent round getting new brass and then having them cut and necked down should be an easy thing. I also load a lot of 40 cal for my friends pistol too. But he gets that for cost since I enjoy it and hes like a brother

6 Likes

LMAO, I was going to put in an image of a deer exploding due to cartridge power… I found one that’s hilarious but, I didnt want to break the forum. Google “exploding deer” and go look at images you will find it.

5 Likes

its not that large of a caliber. Basically it is a 30 caliber in a AR15 setup . Ballisticly it runs between a 30-30 and a 30-06 with ability to load sub or supersonic and can be pushed hard to get close to 308 but that’s a one shot deal on the brass and even then its iffy, I have read about folks pushing that brass to fast on exploding the weapon .

2 Likes

I know it was just to be funny mostly.

4 Likes

oh ok ….some times I don’t read sarcasm well…

3 Likes

I want to see what @Robocop1051 s 500 Blackout does to deer.

3 Likes

You and me both… we are sick and sadistic

3 Likes

There used to be fantastic reloading videos on YouTube before the communists kicked all those channels offline. I am not sure why, but none of them switched to Full30 – at least none that I found and not yet.

As of today, there are a few channels still on YT. For long range precision reloading, I highly recommend Panhandle Precision. If you look at Rex Reviews Sniper 101 course (a miracle they haven’t pulled his videos yet), there are a couple of episodes on reloading. I strongly suggest you download all their videos in case they finally get pulled.

Vaughn precision is another one, but he pulled all his reloading videos as did Johnny’s Reloading Bench. They still have channels and there might be ways to find their videos elsewhere.

I wish they would move to Full30, but there is probably a reason they can’t, or can’t yet, for which I am not privy.

6 Likes

Absolutely :+1: from my experience and knowledge, I believe Rex really knows long range shooting… Not someone trying to play a part and be cool! Haven’t really watched the others you mentioned… Yet.

4 Likes

Still working on my long range build…

Will be capable of chambering many different cartridges, easy change without tools.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Zbtx7bH1oxWBPkk7

4 Likes

Also a new wildcat cartridge based off a shortened 50 BMG case… Left, .338 Ultra Mag on right, same 300 grn Berger and 1/2 inch shorter with around 20% more powder capacity…

Google Photos

4 Likes

so, what receiver is pictured and you necked a bmg down to what?

all I can make out is some envy :grin:

edit:

Whooah WTF

I didn’t see this till I clicked the photo

you seeking a sonic boom?

2 Likes

The receiver is of my own design… From years of trying to build custom rifles from existing designs and realizing their wide array of limitations I thought it best to just design and make my own.
This will be capable of many different configurations and caliber choices, another advantage will be the ability to handle the larger diameter case of the 50… So now wildcatting that monster is possible.
The cartridge on the left is one such wildcat that should be capable of our performing the .338 Edge quite easily while not being overbore and with a shorter bolt throw…

5 Likes

You’d do well to get with @Robocop1051 as you guys have the same passion and talent :+1:

3 Likes