zeroing a 308 rifle with iron sights.

The man in the know has arrived.:+1:

6 Likes

Let’s look at that chart more, and check out the drops at different distances. I need a 274-yard zero. at 250 tards, it’s 8.0" of drop (with 100-yd zero). At 300 yards, it’s 14.3" of drop. If I divide that between the two, for 275 yards (close enough), that’s around 11"~12" of drop, at 275. Not other shorter distance has that kind of drop. So, how do you accomplish that…

Change the data in your chart. Go back, and change to a 274-yard zero, and find out what you get for data. Here’s what that gave me:

^^^ That’s a 274 yard zero that I can do at a shorter distance - with the drop numbers. If I zero that gun 1.4" high at 50 yards - that’s a 274 zero. Or, I can zero it 3.9" high at 100 yards - 274 zero.

9 Likes

I’ve got a 13.5" barrel .308AR, with a pinned brake on it - barely over 16" of barrel length. I know that thing is right on the money inside of 300 yards - point, shoot, hit - with red dot. I’ve stretched it to 400 holding a little high, (head high over the IPSC target gets hits on steel), but I never payed attention to where it was hitting. The target gave me “hit” feedback, so I was good with it. I’ll take it out next weekend at hundred yard increments on IPSC steel, and see what it does, and get feedback in here. That should help, with honest target pics of the impacts.

This is the little hooker, right here:

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2018_07/P1060432.thumb.JPG.2915f48b776c2ef48b9e464a91c7cf60.JPG

7 Likes

Shiit, that didn’t work. Here it is:

13-5%20308ar

9 Likes

This is my 12.5 inch 308 SBR assembled off a aero kit. I added a specwar 762 muzzle break on it for some thump.

Here it is with the specwar 762 suppressor on it.

To my surprise i haven’t taken a photo of the 18 inch upper on it.

5 Likes

Excellent piece of hardware, my good man.

5 Likes

Taking my sexy 13.5 out tomorrow for some 100`400 steel, and see what shakes out, with the red dot.
Also running some .300 Win Mag final loads for zero, and seeing what shakes outta that one. That thing sucks to shoot - punishment.

3 Likes

Hope to hear the report on that 13.5 inch 308. Also it seems like your 300 Win Mag is in need of a muzzle brake and a suppressor. Trust me it’s a big different shooting Magnum cartridges with a muzzle brake with a suppressor to boot. It makes life real easy in takes a lot of recoil out of that round

4 Likes

Tested the Witt Machine brake on that Win Mag today, and it made a world of difference.

Did get the 13.5" .308 out today. Here’s how it all shook out, and this gun has a 50-yard zero on the red dot. Here’s the shoot setup:

Here’s what the target area looked like from the table,under the canopy:

Here’s a better view of the targets:

Impacts on the 100 - point of aim was centermass,top of the white square:

Impacts on the 200 - point of aim was the same, centermass, holding the top of the white square:

Impacts on the 300 - point of aim was the head - that’s all I could see from the table, with the scrub in the way:

Single impact on the 400, three rounds fired from standing, 20 yards away from the table. Had ALOT of scrub in the way, and couldn’t even see if from the table. Had to move to get a view on it, so I shot it from the standing position. Point of aim was one head high, over the head. I’m surprised I even hit it at all.

Very successful day - that brake in the Win Mag is a good one.

9 Likes

It’s up, man - great day!

4 Likes

Left one pic out… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

I have to say I’m really impressed. With that 50-yard zero with that 308 still being able to ring still out the 400m. More power to you. I’m also glad the muzzle brake for you 300 Win Magnum worked out as well. But a bit loud on the ears and my personal opinion is to go with a old school specwar 762, the non modular version. But if you want something that’s QD and still hold its ground and suppression. I I would go with the dead air Sandman l. Also Templar make some great cans for bolt actions to that have very little point of impact shift. I wish I had the location you is at for long range shooting but I’m on the East Coast here near the city so I have to make due. Great photos by the way

4 Likes

That is a really cool set up for the range, I’m jealous. With a 50 yd zero you have the holdovers good too.

6 Likes

That scenery looks awful familiar…you must be a close neighbor of mine down here in AZ :wink:

Nice rig and nice shooting btw!

5 Likes

Unthreaded barrel on that Win Mag, brother. That’s why the Witt Machine brake, it’s a clamp-on made for my barrel dimensions. I wish it was threaded, or I had the patience to break it all down and send it out for threading - that would open up a ton of possibilities for it.

3 Likes

South of Phx here. I should get you out here sometime for some of the shenanigans… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

:+1:t2:
East of Phoenix here…and any time you want to throw an invite my way I’ll be happy to join up with you!

5 Likes

Can we send private messages here? Might be a dumbass question, but I’ve never looked into it. If so, PM me your phone number, and I’ll give you a ring.

We’re getting into the “hot season” - but I like what we’ve got going on right now. Barely 100, and we should be deep into the 110s by now. “Night Shoot” time is coming up, because it’s about all we can do when it’s 115 during the day - and cools to a “nice” 95 at night… We go out to 450 yards at night, but we can go 660 yards if anybody wants to. :laughing: My plan this summer is get to my long range site, and do 850 at night.

3 Likes

Last fall, 100, 300 and 450 targets at night.

7 Likes

Wanted to bring up an interesting thing about this gun right here - it’s different.

Armalite-DPMS-Armilite-DPMS… Don’t ever cross the streams! They don’t work together! Okay.

That gun is all DPMS-based outerwear. Aero Precision upper, lower, rail. That gun is internally 100% Armalite AR-10 = Barrel, brake, BCG, full AR-10 Carbine recoil system, full AR-10 gas system. You can’t partially “dabble” in this stuff, with parts here and parts there - but you can make them work together. The patterns are very similar - but different enough that you can’t use a “little bit here and a little bit there.” This thing runs like a Singer sewing machine.

6 Likes